November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Lyme Park - Sunday 2nd December

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lyme Park - Sunday 2nd December

Post  Admin on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:26 am

Lyme Park, East Lodge and The Cage
This is a brand new walk to the group, and as can be seen from the title of it above, it includes rather an interestingly sounding section known as 'The Cage'! The walk has been chosen as it is fairly close to Whaley Bridge where we have arranged a cruise and a meal for after the walk, and also because it is only 5 miles in length, which will be perfect to take us up to our 1pm sailing.

Here is how the walk is described by Walking World:-

This is a delightful walk within Lyme Park which takes in Lyme Hall, it's East Lodge and The Cage. The hall was originally a Tudor house but the Venetian architect Leoni re-designed it into a palace in the Italian style. The gardens have Victorian and Edwardian sections with other parts of a more modern style. You may well see some of the red and fallow deer in the parkland for they are everywhere, which is why the gates are sometimes locked and at others open. The Cage, reached towards the end of the walk, was built as a hunting tower, while the house featured as 'Pemberley' in the recent BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.

Details
Meet at the information centre in the car park of Lyme Hall at 9.30 for 9.45 start. The address is Lyme Park, Stockport SK12 2NX. The entrance to Lyme Park is on the A6, 12 miles north of Buxton.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://sheffieldwanderers.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

38 names down!

Post  Steve M on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 am

The following names are already down for this walk:- Steve M Andrea Cherry Debbie Anne D Robert Carol Steve H Linda R Kay Pam Mark Alison B Angela Dez Lynne Chris Michelle David Ken Shirlee Max 1 Max 2 Angie Marilyn Paul Angela John Daz Caz Jean Alan Margaret Simon Shirley Steve S Ron Sheila

Last edited by Steve M on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : .)
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re Lyme Park Walk 2nd Dec

Post  Cherry B on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:01 am

It costs £5 pounds to park at Lyme Park unless you are a member of National Trust, I can't think of anywhere else to park so maybe we should take as few cars as poss.
Cherry

Cherry B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lyme Park - Sunday 2nd December

Post  Steve M on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:06 am

Thanks for the information Cherry. If anybody wants to car share we can arrange that in here. Our car's already full!
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sunday 2nd December Lyme Park

Post  Guest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:43 pm

I would like to come on the walk.

Does anyone have room for a car pasenger?

Angela

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:46 am

I'll ask people at the social tonight Angela. We still don't get many people looking at the forum yet, so I doubt if anyone will know that you're looking for a lift.
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 am

Anybody want a lift?

I've no passengers in my car as yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea M on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Angela is now sorted for a lift.

See you all tomorrow, it should be a nice day for messing about on the river Very Happy
Andrea M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lyme park walk & Meal

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:03 am

What a brilliant day we have all had today, lovely walk lovely company and a nice meal this afternoon .The meal was spot on and nothing was too much trouble for the ladies looking after us aboard the Judith Mary. If only the everyday pace of life was 4mph.
Cracking day cheers again Steve n Andrea.x santa

Last edited by Steve M on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)
Mark B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:22 am

A very special day indeed. For £12 I don't think you could better value for money anywhere than we got for a cruise and a meal today. The cruise staff were incredibly efficient and as Mark says the food was lovely. A really relaxing afternoon.

The walk was pretty good too (once we got going!) with some great views from up top, even as far as Liverpool apparently 345

Big thanks to Cherry for help with the route today, and to Darren for sorting the back end of the walk out. thank

Now, does anybody fancy doing it again after a Sunday walk in Summer as an evening excursion?
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anned on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:43 am

Must agree with you what a cracking day out for £12, smashing walk and the bonus of lovely warm stew and apple pie . Thanks every one, especially Steve and Andrea for organising it all. Would be good to do again on a lovely summers evening.

anned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re Lyme Park

Post  Cherry B on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 am

Thank you for a great day out. I don't know how you do it Steve, but the weather once again was fantastic !!!
Lovely walk and trip on canal and the food was good also the company. Yes a trip in the summer sounds good. Cherryxx

Lovely day, we all survived the slippy ice!! Great views all day and the view form the tower were fantastic and well worth the climb. Meal and Cruise were great too. Thanks to everyone for the grat company and to Steve and Andrea for organising. whee

Cherry B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  -Caz- on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:30 am

Today was FAN TAS TIC! clap
Lyme Park was lovely and the house and hunting tower very impressive!
I think we did well to get over those slippy stiles without any mishaps!
The Judith Mary was very welcoming and the staff really looked after us. The meal was excellent really enjoyed my stew with lots of Hendersons and the apple was yummy too. And wasnt it nice of them to donate a bottle of wine. wine I took some photos which I will post tomorrow.

Thanks for organising this Steve and yes please put us down for doing it again!
-Caz-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea M on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 am

I agree with everyone, it was a great day and the money we paid was minimal for the food and cruise.
The stiles were a bit of a nightmare but thankfully no injuries Smile
We must do this again sometime in the summer, and maybe do a slightly longer walk as the views were lovely. The drive through Glossop was stunning with the frost and ice.
Thankyou to everyone for making the day so special and being a fab bunch of friends cheers
Andrea M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

a great winter day out

Post  PaulL on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:00 am

Another excellent walk topped off by the narrow boat trip & meal - a fitting end to Maria's 2012 walks with the group. Thanks to Steve & Andrea for arranging.

M & P
PaulL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daz on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 am

What a brilliant day this was & i do hope we get round to doing it again next summer Very Happy. A very big thanks to Steve for organising it. It was lovely to catch up with everyone Smile

I hope you enjoy my pics
https://picasaweb.google.com/vincentvega501/LymePark?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIyEk-_N19mWzAE&feat=directlink
Daz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mack633 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:48 pm

I hope you enjoy my pics
https://picasaweb.google.com/vincentvega501/LymePark?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIyEk-_N19mWzAE&feat=directlink[/quote]

lovely pics thanks daz... who's the bird in most of em?

mack633

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:03 am

Yeah lovely pics. Pity you didn't take more photos of the tower though Twisted Evil

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://sheffieldwanderers.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top