September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Beacon Hill Country Park - Sunday 1st June

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beacon Hill Country Park - Sunday 1st June

Post  Admin on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:49 am

Sunday 1st June - Beacon Hill Country Park
An outstanding walk in a beautiful part of Leicestershire which has such a lot to offer. In the middle of the ancient Charnwood Forest, the walk starts from Beacon Hill, originally a hill fort surrounded by volcanic debris, which got its name along with other Beacon Hills in the country from the early warning system created to warn the country of the arrival of the Spanish Armada. The walk then takes us past the remains of the 12c Ulverscroft Priory before arriving at the stunningly beautiful thatched and timbered styled village of Newton Linford. We then proceed through Bradgate Park with it's herd of Red Deer roaming freely throughout on our way back to the start of this 9.5 mile walk which the guide we're using says is suitable for "walkers of good ability, and strong dogs."
Although this walk is further in miles from Sheffield than we normally cover, the travelling time is about an hour and 10 minutes, which is the same as it is when we travel to the likes of Dovedale, Goyt Valley or The Roaches. So as a 'one-off' we're hoping we can get a decent turnout for this one for which we're suggesting that it would be nice for people to car share wherever possible to keep travel costs down.

Details:
Meet at Beacon Hill Country Park Upper Car Park, Beacon Road, Woodhouse Eaves, Nr Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE12 8SP at10.00 for 10.15 start.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://sheffieldwanderers.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Beacon Hill Country Park - Sunday 1st June

Post  Steve M on Mon May 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Room for 2 in our car if anyone wants to car share for this one.
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jolly Roger on Tue May 27, 2014 4:24 am

Roger and Ewa will be on this one . She's hooked and wants to go again. No rain please Steve. Cheers.
Jolly Roger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea M on Sat May 31, 2014 3:24 am

Glad last week didn't put her off.

Sunshine has been booked by "him indoors"  Very Happy 
Andrea M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

aaz

Post  Mark B on Sat May 31, 2014 10:36 pm

If the walks still going ahead steve pop me down for this walk and i will pick sheila up on way dwn.
Lifts av just let me know. Cheers Mark.
Mark B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M on Sat May 31, 2014 11:26 pm

Yes, the walk is still going ahead. It's a shame that people seem to have been put off by the distance. There was a time a while since when we did Sunday coastal walks and had a good turn out for them, even though they were 2 hours away. This one is only just over an hour from me at the North of Sheffield, which is about the same as Dove Dale, so I can't understand it, especially when it's such a good place to walk in.
I'll have to stick to tried and trusted in future!
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:34 am

Steve M wrote:Yes, the walk is still going ahead. It's a shame that people seem to have been put off by the distance. There was a time a while since when we did Sunday coastal walks and had a good turn out for them, even though they were 2 hours away. This one is only just over an hour from me at the North of Sheffield, which is about the same as Dove Dale, so I can't understand it, especially when it's such a good place to walk in.
I'll have to stick to tried and trusted in future!
same hete steve, its nice to walk somewhere diffetent, maybe we eill have late rush tonight.
C u 2moz.
Mark B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:30 am

Just got home after the most amazing day. I have been to the area before but only previously seen a very small part of where we've been today, which is Bradgate Park, and the gorgeous village of Newtown Linford. The rest was totally new, and of course, easy to get lost in! Well, not really lost, just not where we should have been at one point! As good a walk as any though all told, and one definitely to be repeated.

Really enjoyed an unscheduled stop to have pizza for lunch in the beer garden of the Bradgate Arms, followed by local ice cream in the deer park. And then of course at the end of the walk we had a lovely relaxed picnic at the top of Beacon Hill, which from over 1000 feet has outstanding views in every direction.

Thanks guys to the fortunate few who came along today, you were great company, and here's to next years repeat  wine 

Oh and did I mention the 2nd pub stop in Woodhouse Eaves? Much needed in the warm sunshine it was. sunny
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea M on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 am

A fantastic day out in a beautiful part of the country. It was wonderful to see all the Deer feeding so close to us and not being worried by us.

The two pub stops were very much needed on a hot day as was the ice cream  Very Happy 

Really looking forward to doing this walk again.
Andrea M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:59 am

Well where was everybody this week !! the World Cup doesn't start for two weeks so there's nowt on tele.  What a cracking new walk.Absolutely amazing views from Beacon Hill,first time I've walked thru fields of dear so close ya could touch them(well almost) rendeer 
Fab company,weather sorted as usual by steve. Pub lunch was spot on,always nice to get a couple of pints in on a lovely sunny day.
Newtown Linford Village with its thatched cottages & beautiful gardens was something else, probable the nicest village I've walked thru.
Roger I hope Eva has recovered (she's not used to them there hills yet) Vaseline on those feet Eva.

At last I got the best of archeeee an tired him out or was the other way round lol.
Hope to see more on this walk the next time it comes up,it's just a 60min drive from sheffield and a little ova 10mins once your of the M1(A doddle to find)
Cheers again steve,Andrea,Roger,Eva,Sheila for a bloody good day out. sunny
Mark B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jolly Roger on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:29 am

I can only ditto everything Mark and Steve said about this walk . It had everything great views, sunshine, beer more beer and ice cream. Would love to do this area again Steve if we can . Doddle to get to in an hour and makes a change to see a different part of the country. Pity about the bad turnout but those lucky enough to be there had a great time. Ewa was fine after a Chinese ( didn't get his name) and a shower . She actually wants to go walking again. Thanks again Steve, great choice this week.  affraid affraid lol! 
Jolly Roger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top