July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

South Anston - Sunday 4th August

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South Anston - Sunday 4th August

Post  Steve M on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Sunday 4th August - South Anston

This four and a half hour walk is new to the group, although it does cover some previously walked areas. Starting and finishing in South Anston, this 8 mile walk firstly takes us along an attractive section of the Chesterfield canal to the picturesque little hamlet of Turnerwood. (Ice cream shop!) From there we head on to Shireoaks passing the partially ruined Shireoaks Hall before returning to the start via Lindrick Dale, with its fine houses and gardens, and the ancient Anston Sones Wood, a Site of Special Scientific Interest.

Details:-

Meet outside St James church, Sheffield Road, South Anston, Rotherham S25 5DU at 10.0 for 10.15 start. There is plenty of on street parking locally.
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Anston - Sunday 4th August

Post  Karend on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:58 am

Id like to come on this walk, is anyone else going?

Karend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NataliaS on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:31 am

I would very much want to come, too. I would be grateful for a lift, if possible.
NataliaS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Village Owl on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:35 am

I'll be along for this, leading the way.

Natalia, I can offer you a lift, I will pm you shortly with a time and place.
Village Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NataliaS on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Thank you!
NataliaS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  colin R on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:09 pm

hi i am going from hillsbough end of town can give lift or take a lift.
text colin on 07850 247358
colin R

View user profile http://www.cbpianotuner.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:25 am

Although I was supposed to be leading this walk I can't get now due to work commitments. So its a big thank you from me to Neil for standing in for me.
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

south anston walk

Post  Linda S on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:59 pm

how many people are going on this walk - karen d has sent me a text saying shes not going

Linda S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Village Owl on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 pm

there's myself, Colin and Natalia for definate so far. Karen D hasn't posted on the main thread yet to say she can't make it. There's still time for more people to put their names down, as for some reasons lately some people don't post until the last minute. Will you be joining us Linda?
Village Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

anston

Post  dezsto-helit on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Tyler and me will be coming on this one
dezsto-helit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

anston walk

Post  Linda S on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:30 pm

not sure yet Neil - done this walk many times and there are lots of different ones around here so not too sure why the same ones are coming up.  the plus side is that its on my doorstep.  I am out tonight which may be a late one so not too sure just yet will let you know tomorrow am if thats ok

Linda S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Village Owl on Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:32 am

Linda S wrote:not sure yet Neil - done this walk many times and there are lots of different ones around here so not too sure why the same ones are coming up.  the plus side is that its on my doorstep.  I am out tonight which may be a late one so not too sure just yet will let you know tomorrow am if thats ok

That's okay Linda. In Steve's opening post he says that this is a brand new walk to this group, and as he's now unable to make it due to being away and work and therefore I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of his route, I doubt its one that you've done before.

Colin and myself have generated a route from the OS maps and a similar walk route, to make a route that includes everything Steve mentions in the walk opening post, plus at the start we're definitely doing a bit that non of us have done before, so its highly unlikely that you'll have done all of this walk before.

Enjoy your night out and hopefully we'll see you tomorrow.
Village Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda S on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:26 am

thanks Neil - obviously ive walked many paths around here in the last 20 or so years - will let you know tomorrow am if i am coming - can you just remind me of the phone number please x

Linda S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Village Owl on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:53 am

Wanderers number is 07565599470
Village Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Karend on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:33 am

Sorry i cant make the walk now. Disappointed as i was looking forward to this one. See you all soon

Karend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda S on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:50 am

neil, willopt out of this one - hopefully see you next time - hope you enjoy the day

Linda S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:45 am

Linda S wrote:not sure yet Neil - done this walk many times and there are lots of different ones around here so not too sure why the same ones are coming up.  the plus side is that its on my doorstep.  I am ou
t tonight which may be a late one so not too sure just yet will let you know tomorrow am if thats ok

Well I'm really confused now Linda. You keep saying the majority of our walks are too far away and that we don't do any in your area, and now it seems that you're not coming because it's too close to home and too familiar.

I'm wondering whether it's worth all the effort right now!
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:48 am

Jean will be on the walk tomorrow. I hope the weather is as nice as it's been here in kent today.
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda R on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:20 pm

If the walk is still going ahead I would like to come. Sorry about the lateness of this message but my computer just wouldn't allow me on to the forum yesterday evening. Linda R

Linda R

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Village Owl on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 pm

yes the walk is still on
Village Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NataliaS on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:54 am

Neil, Colin, so many thanks for the challenging and exciting experience today!!!! I enjoyed it.
See you again soon.
NataliaS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Village Owl on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks to everyone who came along today, it was lovely to see a couple of faces I haven't seen for a while in Dez and Tyler, and to get to know Natalia better.

Whilst we'd made a slight mistake adding too much onto the start of the walk (the route I had ) meaning that we had to cut the walk along the canal short, meaning we didn't do more than ten miles, I enjoyed todays walk.

After having walked the South Anston and Chesterfield Canal routes numerous times in the past, it was nice to see what was in the other direction, before re-joining the canal and heading back to South Anston.

Thanks to Colin for the lift there and back.

See you all next week.
Village Owl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

south anston walk

Post  Linda S on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:14 am

Steve,  why do you have this attitude - i have done this walk many times before and didnt want to do it again - i also had the opportunity of walking in derbyshire on a walk i havent done before so i cant see what the problem is.  there are many walks around here that im sure you havent done yet so cant understand why the same one over and over.  i know you said there was a bit added on but have also done that bit.  it had nothing to do with the fact that it was on my doorstep and im sure that you didnt chose the walk just because it was.

Linda S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks once again Neil for standing in for me for this walk, without having the details in advance!

As I said in the OP the walk I was intending to do was a new one for the group and is one that I saw in a recent copy of the Ramblers magazine. It differed from previous South Anston walks because it included Shireoaks and Lindrick Dale. Anyway, I'm sorry that I wasn't available to do the described walk, but am glad that Neil and Colin were able to cobble something together! Cheers a bunch guys.
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve M on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:27 am

Linda S wrote:Steve,  why do you have this attitude - i have done this walk many times before and didnt want to do it again - i also had the opportunity of walking in derbyshire on a walk i havent done before so i cant see what the problem is.  there are many walks around here that im sure you havent done yet so cant understand why the same one over and over.  i know you said there was a bit added on but have also done that bit.  it had nothing to do with the fact that it was on my doorstep and im sure that you didnt chose the walk just because it was.

I seem to have missed this post until now. Possibly cos I only have limited internet access at the moment.

Anyway, to try and answer you.......

No, the walk wasn't chosen especially for you, but I did think that you would be pleased that we' d chosen it as it would have kept down the petrol costs that you say are the reason you dont walk with us more often. Also, you have said on several occasions in the past that we "don't do many walks round our way", so I thought that for those 2 rrasons, and also that you enjoy walking with the group anyway, that you would have been more than happy with this choice. This is why I was so surprised at your post. Obviously I got it wrong, but I do find it disheartening when I'm trying to do my best to suit as many people as possible, and then I find out that I've got it all wrong!

Regarding the number of times we've done a South Anston walk before, we've done it once in 2 years, and that was more than 12 months ago.
Steve M

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top